John Searle is a well-known philosopher and a professor at UC Berkeley.
In 2017, a former student sued Searle and the University of California. The woman alleged that Searle propositioned her, groped her, and watched pornography at work. She also alleged that Searle cut her pay and finally fired her after she rejected his sexual advances.
BuzzFeed News published other accusations against Searle:
- 2013: A foreign exchange student claimed Searle “lunged at her and tried to kiss her in his office”
- 2004: A graduate student claimed that Searle behaved extremely inappropriately at a dinner party, including attempting to play footsie with her.
- Berkeley: Renowned philosopher John Searle accused of sexual assault and harassment at UC Berkeley (East Bay Times)
- A Former Student Says UC Berkeley’s Star Philosophy Professor Groped Her And Watched Porn At Work (BuzzFeed News)
- UC Berkeley Was Warned About Its Star Professor Years Before Sexual Harassment Lawsuit (BuzzFeed News)